UCR Conference on Queer and Transgender Studies in Religion
Call for Proposals
February 17-19, 2023
Join us for our fifth year of queering the academic conference!
The program committee of the UCR Conference on Queer and Trans Studies in Religion welcomes proposals for the fifth annual conference, to be held February 17-19, 2023. As in 2022 the conference will be hybrid; sessions will be held in-person at the University of California, Riverside and will also be open to both audience members and presenters over Zoom.
We invite all who are interested in taking part to co-create the conference with us. What do you need from this conference? What would you like to have included? We welcome creative proposals, including performances and exhibits; proposals for workshops and informal discussion spaces; proposals for work-in-progress sessions; conventional paper and panel presentations; and any other possibility you can dream up. Based on prior interest, we anticipate the possibility of an undergraduate session or track and a practitioner-focused session or track; please make a note in your proposal if you see these as a good fit for your work. Please also note, however, that our primary engagement to date has been academic and scholar-practitioners; sessions intended for a general audience or an audience of non-academic practitioners have not experienced significant attendance at this conference.
To submit a proposal, please send the following, preferably in a Word or PDF document, to UCRQTSR@ucr.edu:
- Your name and email address
- The name(s) and email addresses of any co-presenters
- For full session proposals, the name of the person leading the session (or, if you want to have a certain session available but can’t or don’t want to lead it, please indicate that)
- If applicable, the title of your proposed session, paper, or activity
- A brief description of your proposed session, paper, or activity (150 words or less)
- Any space and/or tech requirements for your proposal (so that we can confirm they’re possible in our available spaces)
- Your current sense of whether you would want to attend the conference online or in person (This is only for our planning purposes and will not in any way affect the acceptance of your proposal; you can also change your mind about this later. If finances are the sole barrier to your attendance, please keep in mind that a limited travel fund is available to help offset costs.)
The deadline for proposals is August 31, 2022. Any questions about the conference can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.